Welcome to IPAC Southwestern Ontario!
Message from the President
Welcome to IPAC Southwestern Ontario (IPAC SWO) and to our chapter website!
My name is Cara-Lee Coghill and I am excited and privileged to represent our chapter as the IPAC SWO President for 2023 and 2024.
IPAC SWO chapter members represent a diverse group of IPAC professionals who work in a variety of fields in health care including hospitals, pre-hospital settings, long-term care and continuing care facilities, community care and health agencies, public health, government and industry.
IPAC SWO offers face-to face meetings, webinars and educational workshops to meet the educational needs of our members. In 2023, we are pleased to announce that we are planning on returning to in-person chapter meetings for our June meeting. Please continue to visit our website for chapter meeting details!
In addition to our chapter meetings and educational sessions, IPAC SWO is proud to offer:
- The Betty Bannerman Award of Excellence that recognizes a chapter member who has made outstanding contributions to the practice of Infection Control
- Scholarship funding for members to attend the Annual IPAC Canada National Conference
- Support in preparing for Certification in Infection Prevention and Control (CIC)
- Funding opportunities for IPAC Education, CIC certification and renewal
- Education sessions and resources at quarterly chapter meetings
- Opportunities to connect and IPAC professionals regionally and across Canada
- Opportunities to increase awareness of current Infection Prevention and Control standards and practices
- Support for your organization/facility for National Infection Control Week
To join IPAC-Canada and IPAC-SWO, visit IPAC-Canada and view this welcome brochure.
I welcome you to contact any member of the executive to find out what IPAC Canada has to offer.
2023-2024 IPAC SWO Chapter President
|Upcoming Events||IPAC SWO News|
In-Person IPAC SWO Chapter Meeting and Education Session June 22, 2023
Join IPAC SWO in-person for the first time in three years at the Boler Mountain Conference Centre on June 22, 2023 for the IPAC SWO Chapter Meeting and Education Day.
Registration opens at 8:30 am. The IPAC-SWO business meeting will start at 9:00 am and the educational portion of the day will start at 10:00 am. If you plan to only participate in the educational portion of the day, please arrive at 9:45 am to register.
The title for the education portion of the meeting is "From Theory to Triumph: Tackling UTI and C.diff with Implementation Science".
- "Introduction to Implementation Science" with Jacquelyn Quirk MPH, Evaluation Specialist, Public Health Ontario
- "C. diff: What is the Scoop with all this Poop?" with Dr. Michel Silverman, Chair/Chief Infectious Diseases, Medical Director of Infection Control St. Joseph's Health Care London
- "Lived Experience of UTI Program Implementation in a Long-Term Care Home" with Andrea Watson and Brenda Tanner, Rockwood Terrace
Note: Registration closes June 15, 2023 at 11:59pm
IPAC SWO Chapter Meeting and Education Session
Join us for the next IPAC SWO Chapter Meeting and Education Sessions as we gather in person for the first time since 2019. Mark your calendars for the following dates:
- September 21st, 2023: Boler Mountain, London Ontario
- November 23rd, 2023: Virtual (Zoom)
Registration and information regarding the education portion of the meeting will be shared as soon as it is available. We look forward to gathering with you on June 22nd.
IPAC SWO News
Applications for IPAC-SWO Conference Scholarship is now closed
Application submission for funding towards registration for the IPAC Canada National 2023 Conference is now closed.
Thank you to those of you who have submitted your applications. Applicants will be notified of the amount they are eligible for by April 3.The deadline for Early Bird Registration is April 14, 2023. Funds will be reimbursed following the conference and pending submission of proof of registration (receipt) by May 30.
Recording of February 9, 2023 Educational Session Now Available
The recording of the February 9, 2023 educational session titled "Major Construction Project? Minor Renovation? Involve your Infection Control Department from the Start" presented by PHO IPAC Specialist Dariusz Pajak is now available for viewing under IPAC SWO Education Session Presentation of secure IPAC SWO Members area.
Call for Application Submissions for IPAC Education and CIC Attainment Funding Opportunity
Applications for the IPAC Education and CIC Attainment funding opportunity is now open. The deadline for application submissions for IPAC Education and CIC funding is December 1, 2023. For more information about this opportunity please visit the IPAC Education and CIC® Funding Terms and Conditions webpage.
It's that time of the year again. Recertification is now due for those who were certified in 2018. If you are recertifying through the continuing education process and require documentation of education sessions you participated in through IPAC SWO, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The CBIC website contains excellent information to assist you through the process. You will find the following resources particularly helpful.
Education Day Presentations
Did you know that you can access presentations from past education days here? Visit "IPAC SWO Chapter Meetings" on the right navigation bar to access these documents.
As the Ebola outbreak in the DRC continues to develop, concerns about vaccine availability have emerged. According to an article published in STAT, if the Ebola outbreak extends to major centers in the DRC, it may put a strain on the current supply of the Ebola vaccine. See the article for more details.