Welcome to IPAC Southwestern Ontario!
Message from the President
Welcome to IPAC SWO! My name is Cheryl Tung and I am honored to serve as the 2017-2018 Chapter President.
Beginning in 1981 as a network of four hospitals, IPAC SWO now provides support to 145 members with geographic boundaries that spread to three LHIN regions. Our members represent all health care sectors including acute care, long term care, community care, public health and industry.
I am privileged to work with a group of individuals who are experts in the field of infection prevention and control and who have a strong passion to share their knowledge with others.
IPAC SWO offers face-to face meetings, webinars and educational workshops to meet the educational needs of our members. Our meetings provide a forum for networking, education and collaboration. Please join us as a member or a guest.
IPAC SWO is proud to offer:
- The Betty Bannerman Award of Excellence that recognizes a chapter member who has made outstanding contributions to the practice of Infection Control,
- Scholarship funding for members to attend the Annual IPAC Canada National Conference.
I welcome you to contact any member of the executive to find out what IPAC Canada has to offer.
2017-2018 IPAC SWO Chapter President
|Upcoming Events||IPAC SWO News||IPAC News|
Friday November 16, 2018 IPAC-SWO Chapter meeting and Education Day
Fee: $30 for General Event Ticket, $20 for Registered IPAC Canada Chapter Member
The following vendors will be in attendance:
IPAC 101 in Community Health Settings
Tuesday, November 27, 2018 5:30 PM – 8:30 PM
Ambassador Golf Club, 1025 Sprucewood Avenue, Windsor, Ontario
Cost: $50.00/person (dinner will be provided)
IPAC-Southwestern Ontario in partnership with Team IPAC-West of Public Health Ontario is pleased to present an infection prevention and control workshop for staff responsible for/or interested in infection control or occupational health and safety in the clinical office setting.
Topics to be covered include:
- Occupational Health & Safety (e.g., immunization, sharps, specimen handling)
- Safe Medication Practices
- Policies and Procedures
- Environmental Cleaning
- Reprocessing of Equipment
- Resource Review
IPAC SWO 2018-2019 Executive Election Results
The following positions on the IPAC SWO executive were filled at our September 21, 2018 chapter meeting. These positions take effect November 2018. Please welcome the new and returning members of the IPAC SWO Executive.
- President Elect (2 year term) - Dori Taylor
- Secretary (2 year term) - Robyn Latendresse
- Education Co-chair (2 year term)
- Treasurer/Membership Director (2 year term) - Sonalben Shah
- Knowledge Transfer Coordinator/Webmaster (1 year term) - Eleanor Paget
Please welcome the new and returning members of the IPAC SWO Executive.
Call for Interest to Participate in Certification In Infection Control (CIC) Prep Series
Following on the success of the 2017 Certification in Infection Control (CIC) Community of Practice and the subsequent Preparatory Series that was offered at the beginning of 2018, the executive of IPAC SWO and IPAC HUPIC chapters of IPAC Canada and the team at IPAC-West of Public Health Ontario would like to extend a call for interest to participate in the:
- Community of Practice: In the fall of 2018, the IPAC-West team is looking to facilitate a Community of Practice, where those who are interested in preparing for the CIC examination would meet (virtually) with other who have successfully attained there CIC to discuss opportunities and challenges in preparing to write the exam. We are looking for support from CIC certified individuals to offer their advice and support during these meetings. A time commitment of two 1-hour webinars is requested
- CIC Prepatory Series: Starting in January 2019, an 8-session series that covers the sections of the CIC exam will be offered. We are looking for support from CIC certified individuals to help faciliate the sessions by offering support and guidance to those preparing for the exam. Information about time commitment will be discussed with interested potential facilitators.
If you are interested in either joining the CIC Community of Practice or in participating or helping to facilitate the CIC Preparatory Series, please contact the IPAC-West office at firstname.lastname@example.org by November 28, 2018.
Presentations are available for Dr. Elsayed and Dr. Schwartz's on Antimicrobial Stewardship.
During the last IPAC SWO Chapter meeting on September 21, Dr. Sameer Elsayeed and Dr. Kevin Schwartz presented information on Antimicrobial Stewardship in the Hospital and Community.
- PDF Antimicrobial Stewardship in Hospitals: Novel Strategies for Future Success - Dr. Sameer Elsayed, Infectious Diseases, Internal Medicine, and Medical Microbiology, Western University, London Health Sciences Centre, and St. Joseph’s Hospital
- PDF Antimicrobial Stewardship in the Community: Challenges and Opportunities - Kevin Schwartz, IPAC/ASP Physician Public Health Ontario, Infectious Disease Consultant, St. Joseph's Health Care Centre, Assistant Professor, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto
IPAC 101 in Community Health Settings a Success
On June 13, 2018, IPAC SWO chapter supported by Public Health Ontario offered a IPAC 101 in Community Health Settings workshop. Over the course of of three hours, 60 participants from community health settings and dental health settings learned about IPAC requirements and best practices and how it applies to their setting. Thank you to IPAC SWO Chapter members who presented and facilitated this session.
IPAC SWO represented well at 2018 IPAC Canada National Conference
IPAC SWO chapter was well represented at the 2018 IPAC Canada National Conference in Banff, Alberta. The conference took place from May 27-30, 2018. The event brought together delegates from across the country as well as from other countries as far away as Nepal, USA, Saudi Arabia and Nigeria. Congratulations to the following IPAC SWO chapter members whose poster presentations were accepted by the 2018 IPAC Canada National Conference.
- Kim Hobbs, Sonalben Shah, Jaime Lynn Cornelius, Jessica Kooger, Shelby Ludington from Woodstock Hospital. Decending the Summit of VRE Transmission: Drastic Reduction of VRE Nosocomial Cases and Outbreaks on Acute Medical Units.
- Lesley Leach, Cara-Lee Coghill from Oxford County Public Health and Brenda Prouse from Alexandra Hospital, Ingersoll. Three Sputum Samples Away From Freedom
- Jessica Kooger, Natalie Goertz, IPAC Consulting, Woodstock. Infection Prevention and Control in the Dental Office Setting
A summary of the above posters can be found on the in the 2018 IPAC Canada National Conference Oral And Poster Presentation booklet.
Delegates from the IPAC SWO Chapter will have the opportunity to share their experiences and what they have learned at an upcoming IPAC SWO Chapter Meeting and Educational Day. The next IPAC Canada National Conference will be in partnership with International Federation of Infection Control (IFIC) and is scheduled for May 26-29, 2019 in Quebec City.
Winners of 2018 Ecolab Poster Contest
Congratulations to Lindsay McKeen and Eleanor Paget From Public Health Ontario for creating the winning submission for the 2018 Ecolab Poster Contest. The award was presented on May 27th at the IPAC Canada annual conference in Banff, Alberta and was accepted by IPAC SWO President Elect Francine Paquette. The poster is available for download and printing through IPAC Canada's Ecolab Poster Contest Webpage.